Friday, September 18, 2026

Survived again ~

I survived another near-death experience the other day.



My wife and I were driving home. We were in our pickup truck, so we were both in the front seat with her sitting beside me. We were on a two-lane road approaching our neighborhood. We were doing about 50 miles an hour in a 45 zone.



I saw a car coming out of a neighborhood ahead of me. He hesitated but didn't stop at the stop sign, then pulled out turning left right in front of me. I was at a speed where I knew if I didn't do something, I was going to T-bone this guy. When I saw him pull up towards the stop sign, I really thought from the looks of the car and just the way it rolled that he wasn't going to stop. So I had automatically, instinctively started slowing down. I pressed on the brakes and pressed harder and finally really pressed to where the anti-lock system kicked in and started pumping the brakes for me. I came to a complete stop about a foot or so from his rear driver's side quarter panel and he just continued rolling and finished his turn left and pulled off. His windows were tinted so I don't know if it was an old person or more likely a young person. Because of the tinting, I don't know if he even looked or if it was even a he. I don't know what pronouns he used or better yet what pronouns that person used.



What I do know is that I was very thankful for good brakes and good awareness and quick reflexes.



And my wife and I live to tell more stories.



This modern life is dangerous in weird ways.



+++