Wednesday, September 2, 2026

The Answerman ~

It's so fascinating listening to old time radio as part of my podcast that I make. Yesterday I was listening to a Thanksgiving show by the radio Answerman and it was actually very fascinating. He answered questions about Thanksgiving and one of them was about a food about cranberry in their Pemekin.



And that's the thing that's so fascinating about old time radio is I've only read about Pemekin, a long lasting food that preppers now create in case the end of the world comes and they can't get any supplies.



But otherwise I've never heard that word used. But I heard it on that radio show and it seemed like it was just a regular word that people knew and understood. So many of the things that we just assume because we hear them every day or deal with them online every day, we just think that that's the way it was.



But so much has changed. I listened to those radio broadcasts from the 1940s and they talked about wartime, eastern wartime and Pemekin and had commercials for floor wax and cigarettes. I even ran across one that was advertising beer but it wasn't really specifically beer it was more just the brewery.



We have a lot of that now but it's just different. And everyone seems so uptight now for all of our freedom. We're just uptight.



Fascinating.



+++