I think I realized or I figured out why so many people are getting tattoos. It appears to be a pursuit of fake luxury. Because people see it on their entertainment and the people that they admire are the rebels that have these things and they want to emulate them.
It's almost as if they want to express their individuality by being just like everybody else. I've thought that about nose rings lately too. All these young ladies piercing their noses in different places.
I remember I had a cousin who got earring piercings on her ears all the way around the ear. Then she'd get upset when people looked at her. But it just looked weird. It's like all these tattoos.
When I see them I feel bad because they look dirty and they look like criminals and they look like they're trying to be something that they're not. I understand people wanting to memorialize loved ones or what they think are exciting moments in their lives.
But to do it by covering part of your body with an image that will fade and costs quite a bit of money just doesn't compute for me.
And that's okay. I don't have to have a tattoo. I hope they enjoy theirs.
+++