Tuesday, August 25, 2026

AI echo chamber ~

I have been reading a lot of articles about artificial intelligence and how people are using AI to enhance their productivity. Also articles on how people are using AI to confide in and journal with, and to gain insights into their own lives with.



I've read articles about people losing their minds and going into psychosis because they put all of their belief in a computer-based artificial intelligence. Come on! just like with any tool it comes with good and bad effects. People who overuse it or use it for improper things or put unfulfilled beliefs in it usually get different and odd results. Like the people that are outliers that are ending up in psycho wards and that sort of thing.



But there's a lot of hype about AI these large language models that have soaked up all the data that their creators can feed them, whether it was legal or not, spit out really cool responses that seem very realistic and very useful.



I use AI in a information tidbits so that I can have my phone whisper things in my ear to help me learn stuff. For a long time I had to go and search for individual websites, capture what was on the website into a text file, edit it so that it was in the right format, and then feed it to my system. Now with AI I ask for a list of facts and it spits out a list of facts very easily in a format that I can easily adapt to what I'm doing.



I did give in and subscribe to one of the voice recording systems that has an AI with it. They offer the ability to get insights from your notes and the ability to quickly summarize transcriptions into action items and emails and the like. I've been using that for about six months. Recording my thoughts about trips and feelings and other things happening in my life.



So I went to the AI in that system and asked it what the overall vibe was of my notes. I figured I would put it to work and let it give me some feedback on what I sound like to the machine. The response was pretty positive.



The AI said that my notes reflect a balance of excitement for new experiences and a thoughtful navigation of personal and practical improvements. It also pointed out that I am learning to value a softening approach, pausing rather than constantly pushing, and this indicates to the AI a maturing perspective towards self-compassion and incremental growth.



I really liked its response! But this response reminded me of another article or two that I've read about the dangers of using AI to analyze journals and feelings and possibly as a therapist thing.



The articles warned that The AI is seeking to give you an answer that you want and can quickly turn into an echo chamber of whatever you're thinking about and desiring to hear others say. So I chuckled at the response of the AI to my notes, filed it away, and moved on.



I don't really get into echo chambers, but I do like it inside my bubble.



+++